NAMES: Kelly Graham and Jeff Sowa
PROFESSIONS: Kelly is an Urban Planner and Jeff is a Project Manager
WHO ARE YOU QUARANTINED WITH DURING THIS TIME? Each other!
1-2 SENTENCES TO SUM UP YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW: We have settled into a quarantine routine. Both of us are working from home, and in our free time we are enjoying cooking, exercising, going for long walks in the neighbourhood, and of course watching Netflix!
WHAT IS ONE FOOD YOU’VE BEEN LOVING LATELY? Avocado. I (Kelly) often buy avocado, but sometimes I get busy and forget about them and they get overripe! Now that I am home all the time, I can eat them when they are perfectly ripe! I love mashed avocado on rice cakes.
WHAT ARE 3 NON-NEGOTIABLE GROCERY ITEMS/PANTRY STAPLES RIGHT NOW?
HOW AND WHERE ARE YOU FINDING THE INSPIRATION TO COOK? I have enjoyed spending time flipping through the cookbooks we have and finding a new idea. I am excited that we are entering the season of fresh fruit and vegetables, because I have a great book called Home-Grown Harvest.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE DISH THAT YOU’VE MADE DURING QUARANTINE? I was running out of groceries, so I made this ‘kitchen sink’ vegetarian curry (see recipe and photos below).
WHAT IS ONE COOKING TIP THAT YOU’VE LEARNED RECENTLY? Jeff made bread for the first time since he was a kid! Jeff’s mom is a baker, so he baked a lot with her when he was young, but he decided to do it himself. We got his mom on video call to coach us through it!
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE RESTAURANT FOR TAKE-OUT, IF YOU’VE BEEN ORDERING? We have been trying to order from a number of places in our neighbourhood. Her Fathers Cider on Harbord has a delicious brunch!
ANY NEW HOBBIES/FAVOURITE BOOKS/FAVOURITE PODCASTS? I’ve gotten back into the routine of yoga and jogging, and I am really enjoying both!
CAN YOU OFFER ONE TIP OR ACTIVITY THAT IS KEEPING OU GROUNDED AND SANE DURING THIS TIME? In the first week I was mostly staying inside, and going a little crazy. Since then, I’ve been trying to get outside at least once a day and occasionally meeting up with friends who live nearby for socially-distant walks. Its a nice way to check in with people and remember the ‘normal times’!
RECIPE FOR KELLY + JEFF’S ‘KITCHEN SINK’ VEGETARIAN CURRY
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 hot green chili ,chopped (such as serrano, jalapeno) or use mild chili or omit
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) cayenne or to taste
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) grouond sage
- 1 red bell pepper ,chopped or sliced
- handful of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- 1 can chickpeas
- 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cups (250 ml) water ,depends on curry consistency preference
- 1 cup frozen peas
- lemon/lime juice , cilantro, pepper flakes for garnish
- Press saute on the Instant Pot and add coconut oil. Add onion, garlic, chili, ginger and a good pinch of salt. Cook for 3 to 4 mins until translucent. Deglaze with waterh if needed. (See notes for saucepan)
- Add the spices and mix in.
- Add the bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and sweet potato and mix in. Drain the chickpeas and add to the pot. Add salt, coconut milk and water and give it a good mix to pick up any stuck bits.
- Cancel saute, Close the lid to sealing. Pressure cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally then open the lid.
- 5. Turn back on sautés mode to evaporate some of the liquid. When it reaches the desired consistency, turn off instant pot and stir in frozen peas.
- 6. Garnish with lemon, pepper flakes, remaining coconut milk and cilantro and serve over rice or grains.
- Serve with rice.