Today I am sharing a recipe for a split pea soup, a perfect option for this COLD winter we are having in Toronto!
Soup is a great, easy and affordable way to get a lot of nutrition in one meal. This soup recipe is simple, tasty, cost-effective and adaptable. It takes under 30 minutes to make, costs under $10 total and you can use any type of split pea, cooked beans or lentils- whatever you have on hand!
Nutritionally, peas are a great source of vegetarian protein and fibre. They are great to add to your diet for a variety of protein, and the fibre content helps to stabilize blood sugar and keep you full! Peas are also a good source of minerals manganese, potassium and copper, and B vitamins (B1, B5 and folate).
SPLIT PEA SOUP
1 cup split peas
3 cups water, or broth
1 soup cube ( if you do not use broth)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 carrots, chopped finely
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 can coconut milk
Optional: add spinach or chopped kale
1. Finely chop onions. Add to soup pot with coconut oil. Sauté for a few minutes.
2. Add chopped carrots and sauté for a few more minutes. Add turmeric.
3. Add peas with water/broth or cube. Bring to boil and simmer until cooked.
4. When cooked, add coconut milk and handful of greens.
5. Serve warm with cilantro.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and that you stay warm out there!